The perfect health diet can be very difficult to accomplish especially when you have an appetite like mine with a heightened craving for sugar and carbohydrates all the time. Nonetheless I am trying my best to stay in a “better” shape with a fitness and diet to match. It is much harder than it looks but I am told you adjust over time and pretty soon your body will not even crave the foods that were once in your diet (there’s hope!).
For those unaware, my sister bakes the most delicious carrot cake with cream cheese icing you could ever imagine. She is truly a talented baker and I am not usually carrot lover. Carrots have always been the foods you’ve just sort of accepted in your diet. I rarely enjoy anyone else’s attempt at making a killer carrot cake so I decided to try my luck at mastering a version that could come close to my sister’s but also remain within the limits of being health conscious.
Ingredients (makes 12):
1/2 cup plain or greek yoghurt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 carrots shredded
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
250g reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with baking spray and set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk eggs till light and fluffy. Add the yoghurt, milk, honey and vanilla essence making sure to beat till smooth after each addition.
3. Add the carrots, flour, baking and cinnamon powder to the mixture folding each time with a baking spoon or spatula.
4. Scoop a portion of the mixture into the tray and bake the muffins for 25 mins until they have risen and cooked.
5. For the icing, beat the cream cheese with the honey and vanilla essence added in shortly after.
6. Once the muffins have cooled add the icing and enjoy!
Unfortunately these muffins tasted quite chewy but I realised it was the lack of butter and oil so clearly the unhealthy elements of baking play a crucial role in the taste. I think despite this, it is better to store the muffins in a tin that is left in a cool dry room. Sadly, these muffins never came close to my sister’s amazing cake! If you want to view her amazing food and get a hold of this cake check out and contact Saffron & Honey. I will continue to perfect this recipe and try out new ways of keep it healthy!
For now, try this recipe and let me know what you think and how it tasted for you!